Author Topic: Should I open Fit to Talk to non-members of Bitcoin Talk  (Read 197 times)

Offline Talk Merit

Should I open Fit to Talk to non-members of Bitcoin Talk
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »
I receive quite a few membership applications from potential members who aren't registered with Bitcoin Talk. I have been rejecting them, but I wonder if I should allow some of them to join, and then suggest that they join Bitcoin Talk.

Some of them are obviously link spammers, and I don't want them as members, but I suspect that one or two may be crypto-enthusiasts, or responsible people who want to improve their English. Adding them as members could broaden the discussions here in Fit to Talk.

What do you guys think about letting non-BT applicants have access to some of the boards?

Offline Helana

Re: Should I open Fit to Talk to non-members of Bitcoin Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »

What do you guys think about letting non-BT applicants have access to some of the boards?

Well, I think you don' t lose anything by giving it a try. Maybe this is better, even to the BT forum, to have them first in here so they will be able to open an account on the BT forum after knowing the rules...

Offline Silent26

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
I also agree to open the forum for non-Bitcointalk members. But let's assume that some of them are just link spammers, those who will just join this forum to spread spam links should be banned. In the other side, some people will find this forum useful even though they didn't know Bitcointalk yet, maybe people from the outside world who were learning more about Cryptocurrencies or improving English will be the key to make this forum populated  :)

Offline Talk Merit

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »
I should have read your psts first. I've just rejected an applicant. :)

I've got involved in a boundary dispute for a property, so I'm not very tolerant right now. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll change the email messages, and the signup posts.

Offline khatarnak

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
I dont understand why it should be just for btt members?
You build fittotalk for help people to learn english. right?
And another question. how you mark people as spammer in btt?
i just know about guys who posting in the altcoin section but can you say me how you recognize them?

Offline Helana

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »

And another question. how you mark people as spammer in btt?
i just know about guys who posting in the altcoin section but can you say me how you recognize them?

A spammer is, in general, the typical guy/girl that just quote a thread without adding anything of real interest. For instance, a thread talking about the Bitcoin Core and a quote of the type: "Bitcoin Core is the best", and stuff like that.
Usually, those user's pretensions are just to accumulate some activities in order to complete either their Bounty or Signature demands, and they care nothing about the forum itself of contributing with the knowledge towards a bit of effort.
The BitcoinTalk forum is full of this people, given all the bounties and signature campaings. The sad part is that this is really difficult, in some boards, to achieve a great debate with other users, for the kind of replies I've just describe filled uncountable pages on the thread. That's why so many people are tired of that attitude: because the BT forum is becoming a hard place to learn or to engage in passionate conversations.

Offline khatarnak

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
A spammer is, in general, the typical guy/girl that just quote a thread without adding anything of real interest. For instance, a thread talking about the Bitcoin Core and a quote of the type: "Bitcoin Core is the best", and stuff like that.
Usually, those user's pretensions are just to accumulate some activities in order to complete either their Bounty or Signature demands, and they care nothing about the forum itself of contributing with the knowledge towards a bit of effort.
The BitcoinTalk forum is full of this people, given all the bounties and signature campaings. The sad part is that this is really difficult, in some boards, to achieve a great debate with other users, for the kind of replies I've just describe filled uncountable pages on the thread. That's why so many people are tired of that attitude: because the BT forum is becoming a hard place to learn or to engage in passionate conversations.

From my point of view there isn't good behavior with newbies in BTT.
I dont partiipate in any bounty campaign and sig too. even i dont have single post in those part of forum.
Most of my activity belongs to gambling section (testing sites and writing review in topics)
I completly understand how forum should be and i am not Strange with bitcoin too.
we had our local bitcoin forum since 2013 and that closed because of multiple hack and database leaks so manager decide to close the forum.
I had 100% accurate in reporting but right now i am demoted and Even dont have access to my reports history.(its just a box shows your accuracy after each report)
But this days my posts getting deleted in Development & Technical Discussion and Bitcoin Technical Support.
They wasn't off-topic or spam or anything brokes the rules. but managers looking newbie as a spammer.
This days everybody is opening topics in meta and beginner section to get merited. but i dont like that. most of them are repetitive topics.

Offline Helana

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
From my point of view there isn't good behavior with newbies in BTT.

I agree with that. To be honest is difficult to be a newbie in the BT forum, in general, there is a kind of predisposition to see the newbies as an invasive specimen.
Nevertheless, I do understand why some senior members are just sick at newcomers, but, whatever, as said, do not take things too personally, it takes time to understand how the forum works, so just chill, ok.
Also, you can always see that as a challenge: if you shine over other newbies, which is not difficult at all, you will be recognized soon. Seniors are sick of the "general behaviour"  of newbies, so, many of them when seeing a good newbie coming, are always in the best attitude to help.