Author Topic: I want to revive the political comment translation project.  (Read 193 times)

Offline Jet Cash

I want to revive the political comment translation project.
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
This project seems to have become dormant,and that may be my fault. I started an initial discussion thread on Bitcoin Talk Meta -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5048230.0

Depending on the opinions posted, I might promote this in the political forum over the next few days.

Offline Sweetstar78

Re: I want to revive the political comment translation project.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
So, let me see if I understand correctly. You want to star a Political discussion and if you like the result you'll post it in BBT?
Like for example, The recently elected president of Mexico? Would that be a topic you'd be interested in reading?

Offline Jet Cash

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
Almost. :)

It would be quite a bit of work, but a comment of the current political situation, and the circumstances that led to the election of a new president would certainly be interesting. I wouldn't post the topic, as it wouldn't be my creation. We would help you to create the topic, and to "clean up" the English, but your English is pretty good anyway. You would then post the topic under your own name, and thus pick up any merit or credits that it gains.

Creating a topic here allows other FtT members to comment on it, and this could help you to clarify or add points.

I would expect a mention of Fit to Talk in a postscript for two reasons. It avoids any risk of plagiarism accusations, and it helps to encourage other non-English members to create posts.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:47:34 PM by Jet Cash »

Offline Sweetstar78

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:15:19 AM »
Hi everyone, it's me again. This time I want to write about a situation that's happening in my country related to the airport in the capital city. I expect your comments on the issue!

About 8 years ago, Mexico city faced a situation where the International Airport of Mexico city had become too small for its transit. Flights were almost always back to back, the noise constant and the traffic jams in that area insufferable. So the government proposed to build a new larger airport in an area close to the city which would allow it to grow and help the traffic in the city diminish. People from the area were really upset, they didn't want an airport to be build there, their arguments were related to the ecosystem of the site since it entailed to drain a lake which would harm birds and fish from the area. People were so against this airport that marched in the city as a sign of protest, when they were not heard they faced the builders with machetes and guns, the message was clear they were not going to allow this airport be built there.
During this time, Mr. Enrique Peña Nieto was governor of the state where the airport was being built, and he remained "in favor" of such project but said he wasn't able to change people's minds or opinions on the matter. So the project was stopped and the old airport was resized bringing even more traffic, pollution and noise to the area. 
Years went by and the actual president of Mexico, Enrique Peña Nieto decided a new airport needed to be built, in the same land that brought up so many troubles and somehow this time round there were not such problems, and the constructions began. The new airport promises to be great, reducing the pollution in the city and allowing the traffic to be detoured to a well planned and ample highway not too far from the city and yet with space enough to continue growing.  Investments from private companies and Mexican government would make up the budget to accomplish this dream of an airport that would help develop the surrounding areas and bring many jobs for many people.
Sadly during this year's elections for president, one of the candidates claimed that the new airport was a scam, not just because of the harm it would cause the ecosystem, but also because it was being built with money belonging to Mexican citizens, that should be used in other more important things. In his campaign he promise if were to become president he would stop the airport from being built.
He won!! And short a month from becoming the new president of mexico he has declared he will stop the building of this already underway airport, he says the people should not pay for it since normal people, people who work every day to hardly bring food to their tables don't fly, and if they do they don't need a fancy airport to do so. He even did a census to ask people if they wanted the new airport to continue or be stopped. His census was a scam, since only one million people voted, and most of them weren't even from the city. His solution to the already overwhelmed airport is to open smaller airports in close by cities, and build a smaller airport in the other side of the city, in a place that is not only dangerous but also in a land that belongs to his associates. He claims that this is what the actual president did, and that the company in charge of building the new airport belongs to a president's friend, he also says that the government want to use the land and infrastructure of the old airport to develop a new high-end neighborhood with new malls and beautiful surroundings.
Once again this new president has proven to be pursuing his own agenda over all the benefits this new project will bring to the people living in the area of the city. By stopping the building that has already started, he won't rescue the ecosystem that has already being destroyed, he is not bringing more revenue to the area, he is not providing new jobs, he is not taking advantage of the already set infrastructure. 

Ok, so this is kinda the first draft let me know your opinions.

Offline Jet Cash

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »
Thanks for posting that. I'll put it on a 2 column page and work through it later.

Offline Helana

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
Hey, Sweetstar!!
I didn't know that AMLO was doing it so badly, even though I am not surprised. Anyway, I still believe that, for the first time, AMLO's team seems pretty interesting, like his wife, for instance, the first first lady with a brain so far.

Anyway, corruption is so into the society that it seems impossible to make real changes in Mexico in such a short time. Have you perceived any change so far? Any social change? Any new thoughts in society or any tiny feeling of hope?
I am far from Mexico now, as you well know, and I'd like to know how are the people doing there. It is only a month left for AMLO to take the power!!

Offline Sweetstar78

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:08:07 AM »
Hey Helana, you know in the beginning there was a sense of hope around AMLO winning the elections, it was like he had been revindicated for the past, and he really seemed to promise changes that would benefit many, at least the most, the popular people not the rich ones. But then he goes and does something like this and many questions arrise, like why aren’t the business men involved in the previous project not reacting to this? What have they been promised? Why would AMLO act outside the law where all the time his speech was about living and ruling by law? Under what authority does he callas for a referendum if he is isn’t president yet? And in general the feeling is that the new president is acting out of contempt and his reaction seem to many as a tantrum!
I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Offline Helana

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Yep, I have some mixed feelings about AMLO as well. And, for what I've seen, he's just ruling without the people, meaning, forgetting quite soon his promises. The oil price is in the moon and the people still hungry. Anyway, as you say, we might wait and see. He's not even taken the sit yet, so maybe this time there is still hope.
Now, about the daily days my have you seen any changes?? Any hope in the people, any sign of a nipew mindset arising??? I left Mexico in a very bad shape, honestly, after many years in there I just left a hopeless society and a criminal environment. So that's why I am asking if, at least, there is any change on the people's mindset.

Offline Sweetstar78

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
Now, about the daily days my have you seen any changes?? Any hope in the people, any sign of a nipew mindset arising??? I left Mexico in a very bad shape, honestly, after many years in there I just left a hopeless society and a criminal environment. So that's why I am asking if, at least, there is any change on the people's mindset.

Not quite, I mean as you say he hasn't even take the seat yet, and everything he is doing is just ruffling things up. But the general feeling in the country is chaotic, crime is rising and economy is unstable. So no real hope is invading people.

Offline Helana

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I'm sad to read it, but, honestly, that's why I left Mexico, even though I really love my life in there. Insecurity was too much, far more being implicated in some rescuing activities, as I used to.
Well.... I guess the only thing left is to conserv some hope and to be careful, for the criminals are more and more each day, and life itself has no value. What are your oaths on living the country for good??? I can't just imagine how's to raise your children into such a violent environment...
Hope you the best!!! If you need any kind of information about immigration in Spain or stuff, just ask.

Offline Sweetstar78

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
I'm sad to read it, but, honestly, that's why I left Mexico, even though I really love my life in there. Insecurity was too much, far more being implicated in some rescuing activities, as I used to.
Well.... I guess the only thing left is to conserv some hope and to be careful, for the criminals are more and more each day, and life itself has no value. What are your oaths on living the country for good??? I can't just imagine how's to raise your children into such a violent environment...
Hope you the best!!! If you need any kind of information about immigration in Spain or stuff, just ask.

I understand where you're coming from, I guess that you kinda get used to, and immigration is not so easy everywhere you go there would be an issue for sure. Also ma whole family is here, and as you know Mexican families are tight, I have my parents that I need to help and really immigration has never crossed my mind. I'd like to live in the US or UK for that matter just so that I could speak English all day every day, hehehe, but seeing how the American government treats Mexicans who want to immigrate I think is not worth it.
Also I have lived in small towns most of my adult life, is just recent that I moved to the big city and we try to stay safe, we don't go out late and we try not to be flashy when we go out, we live a simple life. Another advantage is that I work from home so I don't have long commutes, which are usually where people get mugged, my husband has lost his wallet, his phone and once even his pack pack commuting, so we think is safer for us if I try to stay home and work here. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for translations jobs so I can stay home, take care of the children and still make a living.
I think one way or another we all face difficult situations, How about in Spain? Aren't immigrants mistreated in Spain?

Offline Helana

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
It' s funny, to be honest. Mexico is one of the most difficult countries to be an immigrant. In my case, I spent years there, and they always treated me as inferior, they even kidnapped me several times in the airport seeking for some money, et al.  After years being a student in Mexico, I didn't have any rights: I couldn't have a job, because you can either study or work but you can't do both in Mexico, so I even was an "ad honorum" teacher in the UNAM -I wasn't allowed to get a single penny for teaching, for my papers said "student"-. Also, I had no rights at all, not even to be able to get a residency. So...

In Spain is really different. The immigrant policies are far more relaxed than Mexican's. You only need a job offer to get here and get your residency and, of course, you will be able of both working and studying. You can also come here for studies purposes, and you will be allowed to work 20 hrs/week.