Author Topic: I've given in and bought a hard drive from Amazon.  (Read 207 times)

Offline Jet Cash

I've given in and bought a hard drive from Amazon.
« on: December 26, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
I think Amazon is a destructive force, and they are causing large numbers of retail outlets to close. However, I wanted to buy an EVO 860 SSD so that I can get rid of Windows on my notebook. Amazon had a boxing day offer of a 2Tb drive at 460 below the retail price, and this was lower than any other price I could find. They also offered next day delivery to one of their boxes close to me, and there was no charge for this. I've bought one as an experiment, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Offline Jet Cash

The drive has been delivered
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
Well so far things are going smoothly. I had a bit of a problem initially. I wanted to have the drive delivered to a Morrisons supermarket, and I had problems locating the one I wanted in a list of about 20 local drop off points. It seems that Amazon just rents a bit of space and electricity for their boxes, and the service is provided by an organisation called Daphs  .Once I had discovered that, things went well. I was upgraded to Amazon Prime, and I received an email at 2am this morning stating that the drive had been dispatched. I turned up at Morrisons at 8am, and had a couple of coffees whilst I used their free Wifi, and I found  few food bargains as well. The drive arrived at 11am, and it seems to be in perfect condition.  I'll know when I try to install Ubuntu, and I'll start doing that shortly. I'm now at McDonalds, and their WiFi is a bit more friendly.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:05:08 PM by Jet Cash »

Offline Jet Cash

Re: I've given in and bought a hard drive from Amazon.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
I decided to do the upgrade the hard way. The plan was to replace the drive, and install from scratch, I would then pick up the bit I wanted from the old drive via USB. Well the drive went if without any problems. On startup, I hit f10 to go into the bios setup, and everything way fine. Diagnostics dis a full scan of the disk ( I requested this ), and it didn't find any errors. I tried to download Ubuntu to burn an ISO image onto a memory stick, but McD was reporting 2 weeks to download the 2.6Gb , so we had a bit of a rethink, I  spend the afternoon using the netbook backup machine for a bit more than emails and posting. I'm glad I did this, as it made we aware of a few problems. There isn't a Linux version of Irfanview, so I couldn't resize an image to load it onto Jazz Pics , but I've found a great alternative. Gmail save mail remotely, so I don't have to synchronise mail across computers. My private mail is stored locally, so all the historic mail is on the removed hard drive. I may have to change the server settings for a couple of the boxes.

Offline r1s2g3

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:06 AM »
Apart from offer you got , I do not find Amazon is cheap. In reality Amazon is very convenient option in today fast paced world and we do pay for convenience. 

Offline King net

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »
Amazon has grown by offering sellers a platform to simplify global sales.Now that they have grown into a mega-corporation, they are using their client base to sell products on their own account. This is obviously going to lead to a reduction in retail outlets, and will give Amazon a change to increase prices once they have achieved a monopoly.