Author Topic: An old farming or household tool  (Read 113 times)

Offline Jet Cash

An old farming or household tool
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »
I picked up this old tool the other day, and at the moment, I have no idea of it's purpose. Some have suggested that it is a ploughing attachment, and some that it is a boot scraper. Neither of these ideas really seem to be compatible with its construction. What do its purpose was?

Offline jackg

Re: An old farming or household tool
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »
Maybe something a brick layer would use?

The large blade could be used to spread mortar and a handle to knock the bricks into place. The long bits could be used as a guide to ensure the bricks line up...

Unless that is a hinge in it at the base of the handle in which case it could do quite a lot more...

Offline Jet Cash

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
It's not very clear from the picture, but the billhook like section has a cutting edge. The isn't a hinge.

I discussed it with a countryman yesterday, and he thinks it may have been used for splitting ash branches. I'm going to see him today, and he will have a look at the actual tool. He has also offered me a collection of old tools, so I am interested to see what is in that collection. Maybe I should start an old tools site. :)

Offline jackg

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »
Did he give you anything more as to what it could be? A branch cutter certainly sounds more like it if it has a sharp edge...