Author Topic: How can I make sure my password is secure?  (Read 994 times)

Offline Talk Merit

How can I make sure my password is secure?
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
I know that I shouldn't use phrases such as "mypassword" as a password, but what should I do to make my password hard to crack?

Offline Cobalt

Re: How can I make sure my password is secure?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:50 PM »
I know that I shouldn't use phrases such as "mypassword" as a password, but what should I do to make my password hard to crack?

I think combining a password would greatly increase the layer of password security. (i:e mybirthday+wifipassword)

Offline minnasan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
As far as I know, to make a strong password (so as not to be easily hacked) the most important is do not use passwords related to birth date or use a combination of dates that you think is special (like wedding day / or something like that).

For me i used to use something that i like (for example: Kaneki007, why like that? because i like the kaneki character from tokyo ghoul anime, and I like james bond, so I combine something identical from both of those things) ;D.

Offline Cobalt

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
As far as I know, to make a strong password (so as not to be easily hacked) the most important is do not use passwords related to birth date or use a combination of dates that you think is special (like wedding day / or something like that).

For me i used to use something that i like (for example: Kaneki007, why like that? because i like the kaneki character from tokyo ghoul anime, and I like james bond, so I combine something identical from both of those things) ;D.

It is easy to bruteforce password like that in this combination Kaneki%%% in which % stands for generation of random numbers.
Whereas combination of birthday and special day seems to be impossible to bruteforce that way.

Offline Maus0728

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:37:50 AM »
As for me, I am using a combination of Periodic Table of Element Symbols including their Atomic Number. In that case, you will memorize the whole periodic table while you are maintaining the security of your account. ;D

Offline jackg

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
As for me, I am using a combination of Periodic Table of Element Symbols including their Atomic Number. In that case, you will memorize the whole periodic table while you are maintaining the security of your account. ;D

If the element decays radioactively then you're in trouble though ;D

My passwords are quite weak, I generally just use 2FA everywhere and hope that saves me.

A strong password should be made up of 16 random characters (of base 62 or higher A-Z, a-z or 0-9) - I don't do that though.

Offline Talk Merit

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »
I use a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and a couple of special symbols if they are allowed. I always make the first letter a capital, as some of the mobile typing routine capitalise the first letter in the entry box.

Offline Silent26

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
I'm using a simple password with a combination of Upper case, lower case letters with numbers at the end with all of my accounts like Facebook, twitter, Google etc and I'm not yet having any trouble. I suggest everyone to just use a simple password as long as you can remember it. But if you really want a secure and a "hard to guess" password. Try to use a mix of random Upper, lower case letters with numbers, just make sure that you can memorise them all. I used such passwords before when I was in High School.
Here's an example : x4GbH89mQa1lyB26
It looks like a Wallet address  :P

Offline manfredmann

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
I use a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and a couple of special symbols if they are allowed. I always make the first letter a capital, as some of the mobile typing routine capitalise the first letter in the entry box.
This is way better in creating password to secure one's account.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:17:56 PM by manfredmann »

Offline YOSHIE

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 07:15:11 AM »
With this explanation about this password I think it makes sense to be safer by combining numbers and letters,
Thank you for remembering for the future. At least we can be more vigilant ..

Offline r1s2g3

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:05 AM »
Here's an example : x4GbH89mQa1lyB26
It looks like a Wallet address  :P

It is not true that that weird looking password are more stronger. When you need to crack the password using brute force them simple password like "<DOB>Iluvbitcoins.<DOB>Buyit." will be much easier to remember and much harder to crack. (because of length of passwords