Author Topic: The Spanish word of the week  (Read 284 times)

seoincorporation

The Spanish word of the week
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
This week the Spanish word to consider must be "coger".

This is a verb, but this has many different uses, depending on the area you are moving.
For instance, if you are in Spain, you can use "coger" freely and it is going to mean to take, to catch, to get, to pick, to pick up, to grib...

But if you go to Latin America, then you need to be really careful with this word, for in the most parts of America, "Coger" means to "f***".

It is hilarious to me when I listen to some Spaniards saying things as "Cógete un taxi". To them, this means "Take a taxi", but, to me, it does mean "f*** a taxi", with all the difficulties and the pain they can suffer by doing so.

As always, there are many differences between the Spanish uses in Spain and in Latin America.
This is one of the first points you should understand if you are thinking about learning Spanish!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:40:36 PM by seoincorporation »

Offline Talk Merit

An English old codger
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »
Put a 'd' in it and you get an English word meaning an old man

here is the origin of the English word
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/old-codger.html

seoincorporation

Re: The Spanish word of the week (and one you should be careful with)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Jajajja!!!
I think I finally found an English word to describe myself? Or am I insulting myself?

Thanks for the strong word moderation, by the way.

seoincorporation

Re: The Spanish word of the week (and one you should be careful with)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
The Spanish word this week is "VERDAD".
This word means "true", but the use of kind of different. When you ask someone if he/she is telling the truth, you will say "¿Me estás diciendo la verdad?". So, "verdad" is a noun. But also you can conclude a phrase with the word, as:
Do you like it, true? = ¿Te gusta, verdad?

So we make no difference. English speakers use "True" and "Truth", we just use "Verdad".

Offline MbyzIco

Re: The Spanish word of the week
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
HI, sorry, but i have to go back to the previous topic, the coger (cojer) word.

I was living in colombia long time ago for 5 years, and i always remember the first day, when a partner there tell me, be careful, because... "te van a Coger, puedes coger, pero no te puedes arrechar".

In Colombia you can use Coger like take, or to take (coger) a taxi, but the word Arrecho, in my country means brave or angry. but in Colombia means a women that need a man. (Horny)

(Its my firs approach in this forum, im writing like Tarzan iknow it, treat me gently)

Offline drgomez89

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
Lol in Nicaragua arrecho mean Angry too haha i had  colombian girlfriend that told me that arrecho thing was hilariuos 

seoincorporation

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »

(Its my firs approach in this forum, im writing like Tarzan iknow it, treat me gently)

Jajajaa!!!!! Noooo, you are not!! In fact, your English is pretty good. I didn`t know in Colombia you can use "coger" in both senses, and I have never heard before today the "arrechar" verb. Sounds disturbing!!!