Author Topic: My van has passed its government test  (Read 285 times)

Offline Talk Merit

My van has passed its government test
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Every year in the UK, motor vehicles that are over 3 years old have to pass a government test. This covers emissions, braking, mechanical safety, lights, seat belts and many other things. It is designed to ensure that all vehicles used on the public highway are safe. My van is a twin wheel 3.5 tonne version, and it falls into the class 7 category, and the tests for these vehicles are a lot stricter than those for cars and light vans. I thought they would find a few things wrong with it, and it was going to cost me money, but it passed without even an advisory.

Do you have these vehicle tests in your country?

seoincorporation

Re: My van has passed its government test
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »

Ummm.. sort of, but not as rigorous as the one you described. In Mexico we have a think called "verification", but they only make measures of the emissions, and it is not implement in all the states.
For instance, if your car have some big emissions issues, you will not be able to go to the city with it, due the high level of pollution in Mexico City. Also, most of the cars have some days of the week a restriction, for instance, you can't use your car on Mondays, and it is based on the number of your matriculation. The pollution level is too high.
Regarding mechanics, nop. We don't even need to have sea-belts in the posterior part of the car, no matter if your car is adjusted with a rope, you can see infinity quantity of surrealistic staff in here: it is common to see 3 or 4 persons in a motorbike, a child driving a trailer... and we just pay for our license, we don't need to pass an exam!!!

Imagine how chaotic it is  ;D. But, if you can drive in here with an almost-garbage car and surrounded by people with no license or knowledge of the rules, you can drive anywhere.

Offline Talk Merit

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
A beaten up car is great for getting through city traffic. Years ago I had a very dented Jaguar car, and that was almost as good as a motorbike. People got out of your way, and you had the performance to jump into gaps when they appeared.

I had a Honda 900 motorcycle some years later, and that was really great, you could work your way through all sorts of gaps. :)

I'm behaving these days though, my van is really happy cruising at 50-60 mph, and it's too big to get through any gaps unless they are bus sized. I've got a transmission whine at the moment, so I've bought some high-stress 80/90 oil for the differential in case that is dry.  I wonder if high stress oil works as a body massage on people. :)

Offline r1s2g3

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
Same in USA,Division of Motor vehicle(DMV) is not a central,federal body a state body. Each state has its own DMV.
You need to pass state inspection for your vehicle ,every two years.

Offline bisdak40

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
Motor Vehicle inspection System, that is what we have here in the Philippines and it is done yearly for the purpose that your vehicle is road worthy and environment friendly. I wonder though that some of the vehicles running on the streets emits thick, black smoke which makes me to believe that the government agency in charge is not doing a good job or corrupt that they allow that vehicle to roam the streets in exchange of money.  >:(

Offline Silent26

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 01:45:09 PM »
Never experienced such things. I don't even know how to drive a motorbike but I always wanted to learn how to drift a Mustang-Gt car. I always do it in video games and police cars will just chase me without any reason. Maybe I pass through their vehicle verification.

Offline iasenko

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »
Same test every other year here in Scandinavia for cars older than 5 years or over 100 000, which comes first.
Got my Volvo tested last winter.