Author Topic: Buying an expired domain name  (Read 226 times)

Offline Baronets

Buying an expired domain name
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »
I've just put in a $1 bid on a name in a Dutch auction for expired names. I watched the price drop, and about 5 minutes ago it was sitting at $5. It has just clicked down to $1, and I registered my bid, so it will be mine if it isn't renewed during the nest 21 hours. The name was registered in 2009, and I keep the age, as I will have bought it before it expires. Godaddy values it at around $1,300, but I doubt if it is worth more than $200, and it will probably take a year or so to find a buyer. It's probably mad to wait for that last $4 saving, and I've lost some good names in the past as a result of my trying to get the lowest price.

Online jackg

Re: Buying an expired domain name
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
What's the web address of the domain (did you get it also)?

Offline Talk Merit

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Sorry I didn't spot this post, and I've picked up a few more since then, so I don't remeber which one this was. I'll have a look and see if \\i did anything with it. I think I got the name,

I think it must have been Gamevotes.com, and all I've done is to put a sales lander on the name.

Online jackg

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
Sorry I didn't spot this post, and I've picked up a few more since then, so I don't remeber which one this was. I'll have a look and see if \\i did anything with it. I think I got the name,

I think it must have been Gamevotes.com, and all I've done is to put a sales lander on the name.

Aha that seems like a good name, did you sell the name or are you holding onto it?

Offline Baronets

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
I buy names like that to convert fiat into Bitcoin. Sometimes it doesn't work, and I drop the name. Sometimes a project comes along, and I use the name for the project. FitToTalk.com was one of those names. Onkly.com ia nother one. I'm not sure why I registered that, but it seems like a good name for a project about hunting for crypto-truffles. ( ie mining for Bitcoin).