Author Topic: Spain. When a corrupt government falls.  (Read 221 times)

Offline NadiaHel

Spain. When a corrupt government falls.
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
It`s been a while since the very first time we heard about the corruption, the "black accounts", the cheating, of some members of the -now old- government. The first time, if I recall accurately, was about 7 years ago, when Baltasar Garzón, an infamous magistrate denounced a situation. Well, even though it was evident he was right, he was literally expulsed from Spain -by forbidding him to exercise his job into the country.
Then I used to think "Well, this is improbable all these people with such a power to go to jail". But I was mistaken, surprisingly.

A couple of weeks ago, finally Spain got the sentence: the court found the corrupted members of the current government guilty. Yes, people, they are actually going to jail. So the government took off and a new government arose. Also, the king`s brother-in-law is also going to jail, after years and years of proofs and fight by some honest people.

This is a great example. I am really far from my country, from Spain, and where I live there is such an amount of corruption that in here the candidates are killed. I`m glad to see that, at least, there is one country fighting against injustice!!

Offline Talk Merit

Re: Spain. When a corrupt government falls.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
English note - Your post is well laid out, and easy to read. There is only one thing I would mention "expulsed" should be "expelled".

Your post is encouraging, and I wish we had the possibility of similar action in the UK. Unfortunately, there are too many senior politicians, civil servants, and members of the judiciary and police for it ever to happen. We've had the systematic theft of the country's assets since 1970, and before to a lesser extent.

Online jackg

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
This is an interesting read and out of interest, what country are you in @NadiaHel
Your English is very strong I can find three errors (though I am a little pedantic):
"he was literally expulsed from Spain" → "he was literally expelled from Spain" (as Jet Cash says)

"exercise his job into the country" → "exercise his job in the country" (I feel like this one is really pedantic though and might just be a regular typo).

"after years and years of proofs and fight by some honest people" → "after years and years of proof and fight by some honest people" - (proof often gets pluralised however, it is already the plural of it's word it's like how evidence is already plural).

Offline NadiaHel

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »
Thanks a lot for yor corrections, they are useful, I hope not to forget them the next time I write.

This is an interesting read and out of interest, what country are you in @NadiaHel

I`ve lived in Mexico for the last 10 years.  :o