Author Topic: This is a board that is close to my heart  (Read 182 times)

Online Talk Merit

This is a board that is close to my heart
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
I'm interested in traditional habits and foods that promote a healthy lifestyle. For example - chicken soup is often referred to as 'Jewish penicillin', and Jamaican grandmothers have been using over-ripe bananas to cure a wide variety of minor ills. I eat raw lemons, and that includes the peel, for the healthy minerals they provide. Also, I let onions sprout in a tray, and then I eat the green shoots and discard the spent bulb.

Have you got asny tips to keep Fit to Talk members fit to talk?

Offline seoincorporation

Re: This is a board that is close to my heart
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
I am from a really traditional country, and in here we have many medicine food. One of the most interesting considerations in here is about cold and warm. In Mexico, the food you are going to eat depends on your own state of health: if you are cold (for instance, because you drank too much last night), then you mustn't eat warm food, for you can get sick; on the contrary, if your body is "warm", you will need to eat something "warm". Notice cold, or warm is not intimately related to the temperature of the food, but with it's own "properties": a banana can be warm and a watermelon cold.
Anyway, there are many foods in here considered magic. One of them, of course is the cocoa, also, the coffee is taken by night to help you to sleep, for it is seen as a relaxing stuff.
You can be cured of almost anything in your stomach by eating papaya; the nopal is considered so healthy that it is used as many cures of the stomach; If you have passed a shock, or you are angry, then it is better for you to eat an apple or almonds...

Offline sunriseme

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
I never imagined coffee as a promoter of sleepiness and relaxation.
Sometimes I drink dandelion tea instead of coffee, it does the same trick and I feel much better on the long term. Actually, dandelion tea is in my diet since I was a student and wanted to boost energy and focus during exam periods. Great tonic, though the taste is bitter and one should drink it without added sweeteners.
Another great health boost for me is fish soup, I could eat it even at breakfast, really good. As with everything in life, all has to do be in moderation, of course.

Online Talk Merit

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
Do you use the leaves or the root to make 'tea'? I use the root. I clean it, and roast it until it is brittle, and then grind it into a powder. I use about half as much as a drink made with coffee.  As you have said, it is too biiter if you use the same amount.

The leaves and flowers are great additions to salad as well.

Offline sunriseme

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
Currently I use dried roots for making tea, store bought version, but at times I prefer the dried flowers.
This is the first season when I plan on gathering my own dandelion roots and grind them powder, like you described.

Online Talk Merit

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Make sure you only use about half as much powder as you would if you were using coffee. It's easy to make the powder. Wash the roots, and pull off the hairs. Put them on an enamel dish while you are using the oven to cook something else. When the roots are brittle enough to snap, then you can remove them. You could probably vary the flavour by leaving them to cook for a bit longer, but I haven't experimented with that. I used a coffee grinder to grind the toasted roots.

I don't bother to dry the flowers, I prefer them fresh as a snack.

Offline Strufmbae

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
I came from an Indigenous tribe,  a highlander when called, my mom used to cook my favorite dish. egg with moringa leaves without mixing some seasoning with preservatives so it's all natural, it is maybe tasteless but nutritious and natural. 

From a third world country where vegetable is pure and natural. We don't use sprays that is why we are fit to talk and fit to live life (:

Online Talk Merit

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
The more you read about fruit and vegetables, the more interesting the topic becomes. Leaving aside the issue of pesticides and other pollutantant, I gather that wild vegetables are healthier than cultivated ones. It seems to be the result of wild vegetables having to struggle for their existence, and the cushy life of cultivated plants means the don't gain as many eseential minerals and other beneficial ingredients.  The same applies to wild salmon and other animals.

Offline seoincorporation

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
Jjaaja, yes. My girlfriend is a kind of Lara Croft (She`s always on the mountains) and we have at the house a big number of cristal recipies with several medicinal plants she pick-up from the forest. She always uses "árnica" to the pain, or also to the skin, as well as "axíhuitl", usefult to cure cuts and other wounds. It prevents infections.

There are another plants, but I should ask her, because I don`t remember their names.  :-\